JBC Auto Solder Feed Station

In an effort to share some of the new tools I have been getting in the lab I thought I would begin posting some more videos of the tools that I find helpful. I recently have had to manufacture, assemble, and test some new Beaglebone Cape Boards for use with the RGB-123 product line. Due to the large amount of thru-hole pins I needed an alternative to a traditional soldering iron to be able to process all these boards as quickly as possible.

Please take a look at the video below to see a quick review of how I use these handy tool to process some of our products.

The image below details the exact JBC product description. ¬†Click on the image to be referred to JBC’s site.


2 Responses to “JBC Auto Solder Feed Station”

  1. overfloApril 1, 2014 at 5:32 am #

    thanks for this great review!

    i was also thinking about getting a soldering station with a feeder, but then i came up with another solution that worked well for my purpose.
    the boards i need to solder in larger quantities are also trough hole but have no smd components mounted as it is the case with your ws28111/12 bridge board.
    so what i did was to export the CREAM layer from eagle and print it to a pdf.
    than i cut this on our lasercutter at the metalab from overhead foil.
    you have to make sure to get overhead foil that is compatible with laserprinters than it will not be made of PVC and can be cut with a lazzzzor.
    it took some experimentation to get the power and speed settings right for our machine, but in the end it worked out GREAT.
    make sure to out some paper underneath while cutting and the little plastic pieces will stick to the paper, resulting in a perfect stencil.

    after i had my cheapo stencil i applied solderpaste, sticked the parts trough and just had to move the solder iron along the pins.
    that worked out really fast.

    for SMD i use a pizzaoven with a separate heat conroller unit that i bought here:

  2. ohararpApril 1, 2014 at 8:58 am #

    overflo, thanks for the tips on that. I ended up switching to SMD headers, but will consider something like this for other projects.